70th Reg

 70th Maryland Regiement

​​
Distinctive Unit Insignia.

Description: A Gold color metal and enamel device 1 1/8 inches (2.86 cm) in height overall consisting of a shield blazoned:  Per fess wavy Gules and paly of six Or and Sable a bend counterchanged, in chief a five bastioned fort of the second voided of the third.  Attached below the shield a Red scroll inscribed "O'ER THE RAMPART WE WATCH" in Gold.

Symbolism: The service of the former organization, the 70th Air Defense Artillery, is indicated by the five-pointed figure which represents the "Star Fort," Fort McHenry, early defense of the city of Baltimore against hostile attack.  The black and gold lower part of the shield is taken from the arms of Calvert, Lord Baltimore.  

Background: The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for the 683d Antiaircraft Artillery Battalion, Maryland National Guard on 7 March 1958.  The insignia was redesignated for the 70th Artillery, Maryland National Guard on 2 November 1959.  It was redesignated for the 70th Air Defense Artillery, Maryland Army National Guard on 11 July 1972.  The insignia was redesignated with description and symbolism revised for the 70th Maryland Regiment, Maryland Army National Guard on 20 May 1997.


Coat of Arms

Blazon:

Shield: Azure, two pallets Argent, a torteau charged with a swan's head erased of the second, on a chief paly of six Or and Sable a bend counterchanged, a bayonet (circa 1776) fesswise Silver.

Crest: That for the regiments and separate battalions of the Maryland Army National Guard:  From a wreath Or and Gules, a cross bottony per cross quarterly Gules and Argent.    

Motto: O'ER THE RAMPART WE WATCH.

Symbolism:

Shield: The service of the former organization, the 70th Air Defense Artillery, is indicated by the five-pointed figure which represents the "Star Fort," Fort McHenry, early defense of the city of Baltimore against hostile attack.  The black and gold lower part of the shield is taken from the arms of Calvert, Lord Baltimore.

Crest: The crest is that of the Maryland Army National Guard.

Background: The coat of arms was originally approved for the 683d Antiaircraft Artillery Battalion, Maryland National Guard on 7 March 1958.  It was redesignated for the 70th Artillery, Maryland National Guard on 2 November 1959.  It was redesignated for the 70th Air Defense Artillery, Maryland Army National Guard on 11 July 1972.  The insignia was redesignated with blazon and symbolism revised for the 70th Maryland Regiment, Maryland Army National Guard on 20 May 1997.