Description: On a black disc 2 3/4 inches (6.99 cm) in diameter within a 1/8 inch (.32 cm) gold border, the shield of the Great Seal of Maryland Proper (1st and 4th quarters, yellow and black; 2nd and 3rd quarters, white and red).
Background: The shoulder sleeve insignia was originally approved for Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment on 8 March 1949. It was redesignated with description amended for Headquarters, State Area Command, Maryland Army National Guard on 30 December 1983.
Distinctive Unit Insignia
Description: A gold color metal and enamel device 7/8 inch (2.22 cm) in height and 1 inch (2.54 cm) in width overall consisting of the shield, coronet, supporters and motto scroll and motto from the complete heraldic achievement of Lord Baltimore as delineated on the reverse side of the official seal of the State of Maryland and blazoned as follows:
Shield: Quarterly I and IV, paly of six pieces Or (gold) and Sable (black) a bend counterchanged; quarterly II and III quarterly Argent (silver) and Gules (red) a cross bottony counterchanged. Above the shield an earl's coronet.
Supporters: Dexter, a plowman Proper, holding a spade in dexter hand. Sinister, a fisherman Proper, holding a fish in sinister hand.Crest: That for the regiments and separate battalions of the Maryland Army National Guard: On a wreath of the colors (Argent and Azure [Oriental Blue]) a cross bottony per cross quarterly Gules and Argent.
Motto Scroll: A scroll folded in four undulating sections and inscribed "FATTI MASCHII PAROLE FEMINE" (strong deeds, gentle words) all gold .
Symbolism: The first and fourth (gold and black) quarters of the shield are the arms of the Calvert family and the second and third (silver (white) and red) quarters are those of the Crossland family which Cecil Calvert inherited from his grandmother, Alicia, wife of Leonard Calvert, the father of George, first Lord Baltimore. The earl's coronet above the shield indicates that although Calvert was only a baron in England, he was an earl or count palatine in Maryland.
Background: The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment and noncolor bearing units of the Maryland Army National Guard on 9 April 1971. It was amended to correct the spelling of the motto on 8 June 1971. The insignia was redesignated effective 1 October 1982 for Headquarters, State Area Command, Maryland Army National Guard. The distinctive unit insignia was amended to correct the spelling of the motto on 7 December 2001.
Description: That for regiments and separate battalions of the Maryland Army National Guard: From a wreath of colors, a cross bottony per cross quarterly Gules and Argent.
Symbolism: The crest and canton are from the arms of Lord Baltimore and appeared on the seal of the Province of Maryland probably as early as 1648.
Background: The crest was approved for color bearing organizations of the State of Maryland on 11 January 1924.