The Federal Employees Health Benefits (FEHB) Program
FEHB stands for the Federal Employees Health Benefits (FEHB) program. It is the largest employer-sponsored group health insurance program in the world, covering over 9 million Federal civilian employees, retirees, former employees, family members, and former spouses and has been in existence since 1960! The FEHB program is voluntary and is intended to assist you and your eligible family members with the expenses of illnesses and accidents.
Generally, the following employees and their family members are eligible FEHB.
- Most Federal employees on permanent appointments.
- Employees serving on a term appointment (that will last more than one year) with a regularly scheduled tour of duty
- Temporary employees who receive a provisional appointment as defined in 5 CFR 316.401 and 316.403 (check the Nature of Action (NOA) on your Notification of Personnel Action (NPA))
- Temporary employees, employees on seasonal schedules who will be working a schedule of less than six months per year, and intermittent employees who are expected to work 130 hours per month or more for at least 90 days.
- Employees converting from non-covered appointments to covered appointments
- Part-time employees - FEHB premiums are prorated based on your tour of duty
- Your spouse (including a valid common law marriage)
- Your child under age 26 including:
- Recognized natural child
- Legally adopted child
- Stepchild (including children of same-sex domestic partners)
- A child age 26 or over who is incapable of self-support because of a mental or physical disability that existed before age 26
TRICARE Reserve Select (TRS)
TRICARE Reserve Select (TRS) is a premium based, worldwide health plan that qualified Selected Reserve members and qualified survivors may purchase. TRS offer qualified members and survivors: Comprehensive health coverage similar to TRICARE Standard and TRICARE Extra (in the Untied Stares) or the TRICARE Overseas Program (TOP) Standard (overseas).
If purchased, TRICARE Reserve Select meets or exceeds the requirements for minimum essential coverage under the Affordable Care Act.
For additional information visit the Tricare Reserve Select website.
Two types of coverage: TRS member-only and TRS member-and-family
Access to covered services from any TRICARE-authorized health care provider.
Access to care at military treatment facilities (MTF) on a space- available basis. (TRS members and their families have the same MTF appointment priority as active duty family members not enrolled in TRICARE Prime)
National Guard and Reserve members may qualify to purchase TRS coverage if they are:
- Members of the Selected Reserve of the Ready Reserve
- Not eligible for or enrolled in, the Federal Employees Health Benefits (FEHB) program
Survivors of National Guard and Reserve members may qualify to purchase or continue TRS coverage if all of the following applies:
- Their deceased sponsor was covered by TRS on the date of his or her death
- They currently are immediate family members of the deceased sponsor (spouses cannot have remarried)
Note: Surviving family members who are eligible for or enrolled in the FEHB program may still purchase TRS